Tuesday 27 March 2012

Georges St-Pierre still open to Anderson Silva super fight, Dana White would "love to do it"

By: Jamie Penick, MMATorch Editor-in-Chief

GSP_WK150_10.jpg
For the last several years, one super fight that has been talked about consistently would pit UFC Champions Georges St-Pierre and Anderson Silva against one another. The two of them have discussed the fight, and fans have wanted to see it for quite some time, but to date the fight hasn't come to fruition.

The conversation was raised once again on Wednesday in Calgary, where the UFC announced dates for three events in Canada in 2012. With St-Pierre gearing up for a return in November against Carlos Condit, and Silva having a bout with Chael Sonnen this June, the super fight is not one with any immediacy attached to it, but it's still a fight that St-Pierre would entertain down the line.

"I have considered it, of course, but the thing is, right now, I'm focusing on one thing at a time, focusing on my knee," St-Pierre said (transcribed by MMAWeekly.com. "Once my knee will be 100-percent, I will focus on getting back to my title."

"When I get back to my title, depending on what's going on, I might have to take another fight. If everything goes, like stars align and everything, maybe we'll see one day in the near future what is going to happen. Depending if I'm going to go up or if he's going to come down, it's too far away to think about it right now, but it's something that could happen, of course."

UFC President Dana White acknowledged the obstacles still ahead prior to that fight being an option, but he expressed a very real interest in eventually pitting the two Champions against each other inside the Octagon.

"Obviously it's a fight that people have been talking about for a long time," White said. "So like Georges said, first of all, he has to get healthy. Then he's got to fight (Carlos) Condit. Anderson is fighting Chael (Sonnen), and then we'll see where we go from there."

"I know that Anderson couldn't make 170, so it would depend on Georges moving up, or those guys meet at a catch-weight or something like that. I want to put on big fights. I want to put on fights the fans want to see. I know how big that fight is."

"Imagine if we did Anderson Silva vs. Georges St-Pierre anywhere in Canada, how big that fight would be. Believe me, I'd love to do it. We'll see what happens."

Penick's Analysis: It's a pointless conversation for right now, unfortunately, because St-Pierre isn't even fighting in his own division until November, and Silva could be potentially in his second title fight of 2012 by then depending on what happens against Chael Sonnen in June. Unfortunately, there have been delays to both fighters - from injuries to more important fights in their weight classes - that have made it so this fight hasn't happened yet. Silva doesn't have a ton of time left in the sport as it is, and the longer it's delayed the more likely it is that it won't happen at all. That's unfortunate, but I don't think it's something we're going to see.

Source: http://www.mmatorch.com/artman2/publish/UFC_2/article_12852.shtml

MEMC ELECTRONIC MATERIALS MICROSOFT MILLICOM INTL CELLULAR MOBILE TELESYSTEMS NANYA TECHNOLOGY

No comments:

Post a Comment